How HIIT can get you burning fat faster than ever! Mulgrave Gym WitFit
Feel like your gym session is taking too long? Struggling to make time for gym? Tired of running on the treadmill for an hour and feeling no different? Want to change it up with something new, fast and exciting? We at WitFit Mulgrave gym have the stuff just for you!
Workouts that have us quickly in and out of the gym are awesome; to know we can get the same benefits of a workout twice the time is even better! To achieve this, the key is to incorporate elements of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and circuit-based training. These methods allow us to work at high levels, burning a heap of energy but all in a shorter amount of time. Its all about the quality of exercise > quantity of exercise.
What is HIIT? Mulgrave Gym
This training method is essentially brief, all-out work periods (20-30s), separated by active rest periods. These work:rest periods are performed at a ratio, typically 1:1 (equal work to equal rest, e.g. 30s work:30s rest) however variations such as 1:4 or 3:1 can be used, all is dependant on your fitness levels, goals and capabilities. The amount of time in this workout can also vary from just a few minutes to 15+, the key however is that each work period is met with all out, 100% effort followed by a period of rest or active rest (i.e. walking, slow riding, etc.). HIIT is typically completed through use of cardio equipment, such as a treadmill, bike or rower, however can be completed through circuit based body weight exercises (i.e. star jumps, mountain climbers, basically anything that can have you working at max effort).
Thats enough talking about what it is, we know you want to know “what are the benefits?”
- To start, you burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, 30 mins of HIIT leads to a 25%-30% increase in calories burnt. Less time exercising leads to more calories being burnt? Sign me up!
- More calories burnt = Greater weight loss; it is simple maths that the more calories burnt, the greater effect this will have on weight loss.
- You have a higher metabolic rate for hours post exercise; metabolic rate is the rate at which our body burns calories to ensure we have enough energy to run all its functions. By completing HIIT, this increases greater post exercise when compared to common training methods. This is called the ‘afterburn’ effect, or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). Whereby from performing 100% all-out efforts, there becomes an oxygen shortage, and your bodies need for oxygen increases , causing you to burn more calories, the best part being, even when you aren’t even exercising!
- Lastly, it’s fun, changing up your workout for a fast and frantic training day stops that feeling of monotony or groundhog day of doing the same thing over and over.
Below we provide you with a framework for a HIIT workout, use it if you’d like, or come in and see us if you have any questions about the article, the workout below or if you’re interested in implementing HIIT into your weekly WitFit Mulgrave gym workout! Homepage
Example of a workout: (20-30 min duration)
Beginner: 1:1 (30s work:30s rest)
Intermediate: 2:1 (30s work:15s rest)
Advanced: 3:1 (30s work:10s rest)
Dynamic Warm Up:
- Leg swings x 20 each leg
- Arm circles x 20 each arm
- Butt kicks x 30
- High Knees x 30
Training: Complete 3-4 sets of each exercise
- Jump Squats
- Star Junps
- Alternate Lunges
- Push ups
- Mountain climbers
Give it a go, see how you find it, remember you can adjust the difficulty just by extending or shortening your rest time, and vice versa with the work periods!
Lastly, come in and see the team at WitFit Mulgrave gym today to book a free consultation and chat about how HIIT can help you reach your goals today!
The WitFit Team.
For more information on our unique personal fitness coaching gym check out